Vrksasana (Tree Pose)
This yoga pose helps awareness of balance and it can also quieten a busy mind.
It is also a good hip opener.
As the centre of balance changes often during pregnancy, this is a good pose to practice as it helps the yogi to be aware of where the centre of gravity is.
1) Stand in Tadasana
2)Lift the right foot and place it against the inner left thigh. Press the right heel into the inner left groin, toes pointing toward the floor. Center the pelvis directly over the left foot.
3) Lengthen your tailbone toward the floor. Firmly press the right foot sole against the inner thigh and press the thigh into the foot. Press your hands together in Anjala mudra (prayer position in front of the heart). Pick a point in front of you to fix your gaze on. This will help you to keep focused and remain steady.
4) When you feel steady, raise the arms up over head, stretching into the finger tips. Breathe into the chest.
Stay for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Return to Tadasana.
Reverse the feet and repeat for the same length of time with the left foot.
- Tree pose helps to quieten a busy mind.
- If practised regularly, it improves balance.
- It is also a hip opener and strengthens the leg muscles