I love teaching Mother and Baby yoga every Monday morning. It’s such a fun way to start the week. This class is a great way for women to heal their postpartum bodies while nurturing their bond with their baby. Baby is beside you for some postures and involved in others. Here are some of my favourite poses for both and mom and baby to do together.
Virabhadrasana 2 (Warrior 2)
1) Stand in Tadasana holding your baby to the front. Step your feet 3 1/2 to 4 feet apart.
2) Turn your right foot in slightly to the right and your left foot out to the left 90 degrees.
3) Align the left heel with the right heel. Firm your thighs and turn your left thigh outward
4) Exhale and bend your left knee over the left ankle, so that the shin is perpendicular to the floor. If possible, bring the left thigh parallel to the floor. Strengthen the right leg and press the outer right heel firmly to the floor. Depending on the age of your baby, you can either cradle them or place them onto your left knee.
5) If your baby feels secure being held with your left arm, stretch your right arm back creating space between the shoulder blades. Keep the sides of the torso long and the shoulders directly over the pelvis.
Lunge with Tickle
1)Place baby on their back at the top of the mat.
2)Come to your hands and knees facing your baby. Curling your toes, lift into Downward Dog or Adho Mukha Svanasana.
3)On an exhale, step your right foot forward between your hands and bring your left knee to the floor. Make sure your right knee is above your heel to protect your knee joint.
4)Inhale and lift up into a high lunge. Lift your chest and soften your shoulders.
5)As you exhale lower your torso toward the floor and give your baby a sweet tickle on his tummy (or wherever you can reach. Inhaling lift back into a lunge. Exhale lower forward for a tickle. Repeat 3-5 times then switch legs.